From:
John Rosloot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1992 12:01:19 -0400
     In my continuing search for that perfect first ferret, I went to see
a local breeder on Friday. He seemed to really care for his animals. He had
about 25 or 30 (different ages, colors, some already neutered and descented,
some not), but each had its own name. He would pick them up, and cuddle and
kiss them. He let a bunch out to play while I was there. I was there for about
an hour, and none of his ferrets seemed to have any tendency to bite, and were
inquisitive and friendly (in contrast, the kits I saw in a pet store a couple
of weeks ago were quite 'bitey', though I'm sure that's just a matter of not
yet knowing any better). They also made an adorable 'chuckling' or 'chooking'
sound which I'm sure all you owners out there are familiar with (my experience
with live ferrets is limited to this breeder and the pet store I mentioned). I
was also surprised by the absence of a strong offensive odor, since some of his
ferrets are unaltered, and he keeps them indoors. There was a mild odor, but
not bad. He did seem confused on some 'ferret facts', stating that they live
about 10 to 15 years (he was surprised when I told him the books I had read
said 8-11, and that some of the owners I'd talked to said more like 5 or 6 in
many cases). Anyway, although I've been studying up on ferrets for a couple of
months now, I'll probably wait a few more weeks to buy one (I don't think any-
one can accuse me of rushing into this :). I will keep you posted.

P.S.  Chris, I'm still not receiving any new issues from you (I'm downloading
      new ones from the archives as they appear). Is this something I should be
      nagging you about every day, or can you only test it when mailing to the
      whole group? I don't mean to be a pain.

[My mailer is still acting up.  I hope this one gets thru - I'm trying
something drastic.]

John Rosloot, computer technician
University of Regina; Regina, Sask, Canada