From:
"Mary L. McCarty" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:32:10 -0400
I have to say that Troy Lynn's post on bonded ferrets (be it to humans or
other ferrets) is oh so true.  Some ferrets have no problems adjusting to
new homes, but there are many that do have problems.  Our shelter policy is
to not split up pairs or trios.

As for the lady who's fiance wants her to surrender her ferrets - here is
a true story I want you to read and think about...

A man called me to surrender his two female ferrets, Winter & Nutmeg.  He
was allergic to his fiancee's cats, so she found them a new home.  In
return, she demanded he surrender his ferrets.  Winter and Nutmeg were 4 &
4.5 yo when they came to me.  They had only ever known him as their daddy
and he treated them like princesses.  He was very concerned about them
and we spoke for hours.  When it came time for him to leave, he sat in my
driveway bawling like a little kid until he could get himself under enough
control to drive.

No matter what we did, Winter (4.5 yo) became so depressed that she died 4
weeks later.  My vet and I did everything possible.  Once she realized her
daddy wasn't coming back she just didn't want to live.  Luckily, Nutmeg did
recover, but it was a long, hard road (and complete thanks to Peggy, our
wonderful foster mom who became Nutmeg's new mom).

If you are thinking of giving up a pet because of your boyfriend,
girlfriend, etc.  - please think long and hard about why they are asking
you to do this.  What will they ask you to give up next?  I can tell you,
my husband would be out the door before any of my ferrets.  Luckily for
him <g>, his feelings about pets are the same as mine.

Being in a shelter situation, I can tell you that this happens much more
often than you think.

Mary

Mary McCarty-Houser, Director
Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association of Centre County
http://www.ferretrescue.com