From:
Millie Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 10:46:27 -0600
Boy, so much to respond to:

Barbara, most certainly am looking for companions in the Texas area
(although being in the far part of Texas from Dallas is almost like being a
state away - thinking of how hard it is to hug 3 or 4 states away and kids
youall's age need something besides just a keyboard).  I think you will
find David is all I protrayed, absolutely cute as a bug and has extremely
mannerly ferrets!!!!  He is going to be back from Hawaii this Thursday.

But on being lucky: yes indeedy I have been, mine are out all but at
bedtime when they are tucked in.  They aren't as adventuresome as those
caged when THEY want to be out, they are mild and wander around and play
with each other - once in a blue mood they all get keyed up over something
and race each other around but again it is a game of chase rather than
exploring and getting somewhere they shouldn't.  They have 866' of their
own area but they are mesmerized at the plexiglass gate that keeps them out
of the rest of the house, it's way too big to ferret proof, or supply potty
boxes for.  One thing I WILL NOT DO is leave them outside when I run an
errand, even a short one.  The only wall to the outside is brick
shoulderhigh with a wrought iron curlycue gate covered with plexiglass,
wedged closed, tied with rope to discourage people who try to open it and
on the bottom there are haydock blocks up against the bottom but I still
fear some animal would get in there and mine would have no safe place to
hide.  They are out 2 or 3 hours while I am on the computer but I am here.

Katperson: loved your post on how your 3 to 4 get along and when bored and
left out one will terrorizes the cat.  I have 3 that are really really
close, Easy Off, Ammonia and Cascade, but they also individually go off
and play with the others.  They mix and match - I don't see "clicks"

Jen and Camille: the dragging of towels and stuff in hammocks and the
hammocks for the floor - usually the ferrets like to be covered up when
they sleep, you will find a lot referring to tucking the little ones in
at night before they go to bed.  The pocket hammocks are better than the
straight ones OR putting a towel in and letting them rearrange it for
themselves.  I am currently making hammocks for shelters and supporting
this habit by selling to the public.  I have designed some interesting
designs, wild colors, and especially what the shelters are preferring are
the bottom bags - on one side I use two layers of thermo lining inside the
bags so cold won't seep up from the floor, and the top is light weight for
them to roll around in - good for sick and/or old ferrets who have hard
time with hanging hammocks.  I also put one hook in a corner, they can be
fastened inside the cage so as not to be drug off and dunked into the water
dish.......Also make carrier hammocks that tie into the catcarriers instead
of hooks which won't fit the oval holes They fit across the width to make a
2nd floor, more room.  So far I have furnished over 130 to different
shelters at no cost to them.

I do recommend though to have something on the bottom of the cage, if not
carpet, the 12"x12" floor tile, you can over lap it where it fits the cage
and when there is a dirty spot, easy to just remove that square and wash
it, I had trouble with cutting solid piece of vinyl getting it in and out
of the cage door - spilled every on it getting it out....

Millan: my suggestion on incurable habits of the ferrets - go along with
them, provide what they want but in the way YOU can handle it, note
yesterday's post with my suggestion of providing a "swimmingpool" and
putting it in a corner on top of newspaper BUT for you I would also suggest
stuffing towels around the edge for the first week or so til he gets his
wild freedom under control.  I bet he leaves the water dish alone when he
can have more fun in his own pool.  As you all also know, I really
recommend rice boxes for curing their digging habits.  They need to be
ferrets some of the time.

And marking, let me tell you about markings when an angel baby boy grows up
to become a "hob".  ho ho hohoho.  Yes its ALL true, every word.

That's it, I'm done

Millie and her noble cleaning crew, 2 aliens and 1 leftover
Easy Off:  the most perfect ferret in the whole wide world
Ammonia:  He's drawing designs in the floor again, Grandma
Cascade:  I have an idea girls, gather round, psst psst psst
Ajax:  Hey, are you all drawing straws as to which lucky girl gets to
swing with me in my hammock?
Dizzy:  Careful son, the gals are cooking up something
Joy:  Ajax, did you know we are really really turned on by a handsome
dude like you, wrapped in a fluffy downey washed towel, up to the neck?
Prell:  Get him wrapped, I'll get the tie twists and the tape and the
rope and the Lysol spray.