From:
Amy Seyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 21:56:37 -0400
Ron -- We lost an 8 1/2 year old ferret in January who used to scream when
she sneezed (but only in the last year of her life).  Since she'd been very
healthy we never thought much about it, and it didn't seem to really bother
her.  It just sounds terrible.  However, do listen to Katrina and keep in
mind Duke is susceptible to all sorts of stuff at her age.  Just thought you
might like to know that Elektra's screaming sneezes were nothing (she also
"sang" in the litter pan).

Margaret & Ollie -- The same ferret mentioned above got cataracts at about
the age of five and lasted almost another four years, none the worse for
wear.  Of course, she also had retinal nerve damage and had been blind
probably all of her life, so cataracts meant nothing to her.  If the eye
changes in any way (swelling, discharge), though, I'd probably give your vet
a call.

Catherine -- Perhaps Mortimer and my Sidney should get together and have a
"who can stink more" contest.  Sidney is four and basically has had constant
emissions from his scent glands all of his life.  His glands have never been
impacted, but I will tell you that we did get him neutered when he was in
full season, and sometimes he's forgotten that he's lost "things" for a few
years now.  He is also deaf, and quite often if you sneak up on him, or he
just plain doesn't see you, he'll let you know the odorous way.

Amy & Dave (and their gaggle of giggling ferrets)
RIP Ian and Elektra