Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2013 17:50:45 +0000
At age 8 or 9, the cause of your boy's enlarged spleen could be almost
anything. Or there could be no direct cause at all. Enlarged spleens
are fairly common as ferrets get older, and especially at that age.
It's unlikely that it's related to Lupron or Deslorelin, and may or
may not have anything to do with the adrenal disease.

What you should be aware of is that your boy's declining quality of
life is probably due to the adrenal tumor or tumors becoming larger and
more of a problem. You have been treating them for a long time, and
they have continued to grow during that time. Eventually they do become
too much for even a Deslorelin implant to fight against effectively. My
guess would be that he's feeling pretty lousy over all as a result of
the adrenal disease, and that his enlarged spleen is a by-product of
that. If he hasn't had a Deslorelin implant within 5 or 6 months, I'd
get him another. If he has, I'd get him a very strong Lupron Depot
shot, like at least 1.0 mg. I'm just suggesting what I would do if he
was my ferret... you should of course discuss this with your vet. But
also at age 8 or 9 you will soon need to consider palliative care if
his over all health continues to decline. He's had a full life and
you've obviously taken good care of him!

Jeff

Caring for Boomer, Zoomer, Gemini, Bella, Pinky, Simba, & Nala

In memory of Luna, Neo, Sweet Sylvie, Baby Girl, Dozer, Morphy,
Trinity, Sabrina, Minnie Mouse, Pop, Pip, Possum, Hunny, Mr. Parker,
Misty, Frodo, Baggins