From:
Brian Vinacco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 1996 09:12:05 EDT
I have been asked by the shelter operator, here in RI to post this.  It
seems that FARI (Ferret Association of Rhode Island) has been hit by ECE.
She said that it has a new twist this time for her.  She said alonfg with
the usual symptoms, it is accompanied by vomiting.  She asked that I post
and ask if anyone has had experience with this new twist.  She asked that
the questions be directed at Dr. Williams, but if anyone has any info that
can help, please reply.

Also I would like to introduce Coty.  She was given to my wife and I on
Thursday.  The people that had her, were the second or third owners.  They
knew nothing about ferrets.  I printed the FAQ's for them and gave them the
number for my vet.  They determined at that point that they no longer wanted
her and asked me if I wanted to take her.  I thought about that one for
about 2 seconds, and ran over to pick her up.  They did not know her back
ground and has no papers for her.  As a matter of fact they were calling
her, a him.  That's right folks they thought they had a boy.  From the looks
of her she is only about 6 or 7 months old.  She has the tell tale dot
tatoos, so I am assuming she is from MF.  She is very sweet, and very
energetic.  She is scheduled to go to the vet for shots & an overall checkup
on Saturday.  Now for the problem, I already had 3 ferrets that got along
great.  All MF, 2 males and 1 female.  Sarah will continually attack the
baby.  Mookie & Toby get along!  fine with her.  They try to pla y with her
& all she does is run away crying to hide.  I have tubes on the floor form
them to play with.  She is either hiding in there, or sleeping in my wife's
arms.  Since she was dooking and playing at warp 9, when I brought her home.
Needless to say I have tried everything I could think of to get Sarah, to
accept Coty.  I have bathed them with the same Shampoo, placed there cages
in front of each other, bitter apple.  I also tried rubbing them together.
Nothing has worked.  :'( I don't know if it is a territory thing, but
Sarah's attacks are unrelentless.  If anyone knows of anything else I can
try, please let me know.

Thanks for any input, please feel free to email me directly.

Brian