From:
Melissa Furash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 01:23:40 EST
Someone asked for information on treating ferrets with colds.  We went
through this very recently with Percy.  Percy is 5 years old and exactly
one week ago was running a high fever.  Since I work at a vets I just took
him down and started by taking his temp. (105.2).  Dr. K examined him and
suggested his spleen felt large so we x-rayed him (I think he's embarrassed
that I saw his bacula LOL)  It was large but normal shaped so no worries
there.  To drop his temp we gave him a shot of Dipirone and a shot of
Baytril for antibiotic.  Then home we go with oral antibiotics.  Every day
for the last seven days it's been meds 2 x a day and baby food 3 x a day.
Percy is VERY pro gerber's Chicken and Pears!  I also gave him Pedialyte
mixed with water by syringe.  For 7 days while the others played during
out-time he lay in a carrier next to me and slept.  That's pretty much all
he did for the week, slept.  Yesterday was the first day he really played.
The good news is he's back to normal, the bad news is he doesn't want
to cuddle with me like he did last week.  Oh well, I'ld rather he was
healthy.  :)

One thing I do with all my pets, periodically give something REALLY YUMMY
by syringe.  Ensure or something they really like so that they associate
the syringe with good food.  My guys all want whatever is in the tube so
it makes giving oral meds very easy.

I hope this helps,
Melissa
Meeko, Percy, Snoopy and Bear