From:
Chris Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 1992 22:40:00 -0400
1) What is the ferret mailing list?

   The ferret mailing list (FML) is a group of people interested in
   ferrets, Mustela Putorius Furo as pets.  All aspects of ferrets
   are discussed, advocacy (Mocha for president! ;-) (see question
   6), funny stories, health, training, ferret parties and so on.

   The FML is "home" on the UUCP network and Internet.  It is
   forwarded by some people to other networks such as GEnie
   (by Jeb Weissman) and CompuServe (by Chip Gallo).

   ferret.ocunix.on.ca is a tiny little single-user machine situated
   in the countryside north and west of Ottawa (the capital of Canada
   in case you didn't know), Ontario, Canada.  If you look at
   a map, just find the border of Quebec and Ontario where it hits
   the St. Lawrence River (at New York State).  Run your finger up the
   border (actually, the Ottawa River), and just past Ottawa you'll
   squish our house ;-)  We're about 3 miles in from the river on
   the Ontario side.

   Ferret.ocunix.on.ca is UUCP connected to the Internet, and has
   an MX record at uunet.ca.  As such it isn't really on the Internet,
   but is for email purposes.

2) How does it work?

   Chris Lewis (me) is the moderator of the FML.  Articles are sent to
   me via electronic mail, and I produce a digest of whatever I
   receive, and then email it out to each of the subscribers.

3) What addresses do I send the articles to?

   [log in to unmask] is for articles.
   [log in to unmask] is for subscription requests
    and information.

   If you're on BITNET, or some other braindamaged network that doesn't
   support MX records, the above addresses can be expressed as:

   I can be reached a little more directly at:

   I make no claims to understand the wierd addressing formats
   of proprietary/commercial networks such as CompuServe or
   GEnie.

4) How many members are there?

   Currently 117.  Not including people who receive it by mail2news
   gateways (eg: Duke), or by rebroadcast on CompuServe or GEnie.

5) How long has this mailing list been active?

   Since December 1987.  *1987*!  Even I didn't realize it was
   that long.  Same moderator, 3 or 4 different "home" machines.
   Averaging about 50 issues a year.  We're up over 200 now.

6) Aren't ferrets wild and dangerous animals?

   That's the funniest thing I've ever heard about ferrets.
   Nonsense.  Ferrets have a long history of domestication.
   As long, in fact, as cats do.  Pet ferrets are quite gentle
   and are good with children - though, like *any* other animal,
   ferrets and small children should be supervised by adults.

   However, through hysteria fomented by certain people (often
   who have a financial interest in the matter), ferrets have
   been banned in several places.  For example, California.

   However, concerted effort in presenting the truth about these
   animals has often resulted in the bans being lifted (eg:
   Alaska)