Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 00:51:47 -0800
Dooks All ~!~!

There have been some comments and questions raised about the Oregon
Ferret Shelter and the Pacific Ferret Shelter Network.  Being a volunteer
AND a foster dad with the OFS, and the publicist for the PFSN, hopefully
I can address some of the issues.

The Oregon Ferret Shelter is not a one person operation.  Chris and her
husband Dave have been involved in ferrets and sheltering for over 15yrs.
While I have personally seen them pull some real miracles, I'm certain
they will agree that it could never be a 'one person' operation.  Believe
me, there is a group of extremely dedicated volunteers and foster parents
involved.

When I was there last week 2 stopped by 'just to trim some toenails and
play with the kids'.  On Saturday, while 5 of us were doing a fundraiser
at PetsMart, there were at least 5 others at the shelter cleaning cages
and caring for with the kids.  On Sunday while Chris was handling
adoptions, there were others helping at the shelter and 4 of us doing the
fundraiser.  I understand we made close to $1,000.00 for the shelter that
weekend.

The volunteers help in whatever way they can.  Some will transport to
and from the vets.  One in Albany has been a staging area where kids can
be dropped off and she will transport them to the shelter.  Some make
hammies and sleepsacks for the shelter and for fundraising sales.  Many
of us will stop by when we can and visit or help out.  Many of us will
drop what we are doing if we get a call saying they need help.

Oh, and lets not forget the vet and techs that stop by on occasion to
discuss medical cases, help out, or just socialize.

The kids ARE happy, healthy, and well cared for.  The ferrets, dogs,
cats..  heck even the birds are singing.

The shelters within the Pacific Ferret Shelter Network are required to
sign a contract with the PFSN.  The contract provides for inspections
and outlines a level of care for the ferrets and the conditions of the
facility.  After all, no one would want to send a group to a shelter
without knowing how they would be treated.  Would they?  Chris wouldn't.
She treats them as if they were her own.  She feels the responsibility
for their well-being.  All the shelter moms do.  Foster homes are subject
to the same scrutiny.  The welfare of the ferrets DOES come first.

If a shelter violates the contract or is found not to be to standards,
they stand to lose the support of the PFSN.  Support can mean everything
from cages to sleepsacks to food to finances.  I don't have the exact
figures, but can tell you that the PFSN (through various fundraisers) has
raised and distributed several thousand dollars to member shelters so far
this year.  That's a lot of bakesales, car washes, auctions, dinners,
lollipop sales, and garage sales.  Not to mention planning, preparing,
setting up, and hosting the first AFA Sanctioned show here in Oregon.

It's a lot of work to raise awareness and support the shelters.  We
want to make certain the shelters have what they need and the kids are
properly taken care of.

There are only a few reasons why a shelter would not be within the PFSN.
Either they want no part of a 'network', don't know about the PFSN, feel
they will lose their autonomy, don't like rules, or aren't up to the
standards.  The contract gives us, the voting members, the board, and the
shelters say in how the kids are treated.

Yeah, I would say the 'network' is QUITE sufficient.

An occasional shelter 'overload' may be inevitable.  While we would love
for the ferrets to teleport themselves to other facilities <hell, they do
it other times>, it just doesn't work that way.  It does take time to get
the kids comfy and relaxed, get them up to date on shots, get them a
medical checkup, observe them and arrange for transport.  They would not
be transported until AFTER the ADV test results come back and they are
out of quarantine.

If you have any questions about the PFSN, please feel free to ask.  Just,
please try to stay away from the
'this-one-told-me-that-that-one-told-him-that-this-one-saw-something-some
where-else-about-this-and-that-and . . . . . . . . .'

Ahhh you get the idea.

Warm Fuzzies ~!~!

Kevin B & The Way Kewl Kritter Crew    [log in to unmask]
Oregon Ferret Shelter volunteer http://www.OregonFerretShelter.com
Pacific Ferret Shelter Network member http://www.FERRETNET.ORG