From:
"M. Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 09:06:44 -0700
I read with interest the letters complaining about folks who think ferrets
are dangerous and blood-thirsty.  I read them with interest because I used
to be one of those people.  I hope my letter will help you understand how
people can think this way.

I was brought up hearing stories of ferrets biting chins off people.  I
don't know where my parents heard these stories, but they believed them.

Later I found out a friend's sister had a ferret.  I never met it, but found
out she loved it.  I also had a friend with a ferret, and though she lived
far away I could tell she was devoted to it.

After they were legalized here they began to appear in pet stores.  I was
surprised at how docile they seemed; even when people poked fingers in the
cages they would ignore them -- I had expected they would bite people's
fingers off.

Since I saw ferrets first hand and read up on them, my opinion of ferrets
has completely turned around -- I even turned my parents' opinions around so
that they are actually excited about the fact that I am getting a ferret
soon (hopefully at the GLFA Ferret Rennaisance this Nov!).

I think the thing to do with these people is to let them see a real ferret
in action.  Maybe like me, they will completely turn around.  I have had
this experience with parrots -- people think they are mean and vicious until
they are exposed to happy and content parrots.  I think this could be the
same, and perhaps one day they will realize the error in their ways.

I hope this helped you understand how some people can be so misinformed.