Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:53:29 -0800
Hi, all.

I met a little girl coming across the Bridge.  Her name was Cleo.  She
came across the Bridge with confidence, and whiskers uplifted in a smile.
She said that she had been dreaming about the Bridge for a while, and was
happy to finally be in her new forever home.

Well, I got her some wings and a new hammie.  Then I asked her where she
wanted to go, what she wanted to see.  She said that she wanted to pick
out a good home first, and then decorate it.  I knew just the place!  I
brought Cleo to the Field of Sofas.

The Field of Sofas has roughly the same acreage as sixteen football
fields added together!  There are all kinds of sofas there as far as the
eye can see, and patches of multicolored wildflowers blooming between
them.  There are fancy reclining sofas, old fashioned shiny horse hair
ones, quilted velvet victorian ones, as well as harvest gold and avacado
green ones from the seventies.  Some are in mint condition, others have
been extensively...shall we say....renovated?  Renovated by FERRETS for
our comfort!  Upholstry shredded for long scratching and digging binges,
stuffing falling out of the bottom, cushions chewed open and the soft
contents carried away for bedding...You get the idea!

Well, Cleo chose an overstuffed loveseat in cream colored corduroy, the
best fabric for showing off your shed fur!  I got under it with her and
helped her rip the fabric out from underneath it.  It was hard work!
Fortunately, her nearest neighbours, the Business from the blue denim
casual sofa to the left came over to say hi, and to lend a paw.  With
their help, we tore out a laundry basket sized load of foam rubber
chunks, and loosened a few springs.

We all took a breather, and we got to chatting.  Cleo told us some funny
stories about her Mommy, Angie, and the playing they used to do.  I
reassured Cleo that some day, a long time from now, she would see her
Mommy again.  Cleo said she'd customize her her very own sofa just for
the occasion!

I met a little guy coming across the Bridge, too.  His Business was
waiting for him with me.  They were a pretty rowdy bunch!  Oliver was
wardancing, he stepped on Fancy, who bit Leo, who then backed into Seth,
who ran for it, but got caught and tackled by Gabby and Fuzzie!  There
was so much commotion that we almost didn't notice when Mr. Burton came
across the Bridge at last!

Mr. Burton and I just moved aside and let the Business continue to
frolic.  What a sight!  We walked away together for a stroll, leaving the
Business to calm down on its own.

It was a good day for a walk.  It had rained the night before, leaving
the sky fresh washed and clean smelling.  There were still raindrops
caugt in the grass, shining like little diamonds in the sun.  Mr. Burton
and I both noticed that our feet were getting sort of damp, so we hopped
up on top of a large flat stone, and lay down to chat.

Mr. Burton told me about his life, about the bad hoomins who abandoned
him, and then the good hoomins who loved him and took care of him and his
Business.  His Daddy Jim was a total pushover when it came time to give
out treats.  Mr. Burton gave me his very best "I'm starving!" face and I
laughed so hard I thought my eyeballs were going to fall out!  Jim fell
for it every time.  You just have to love that in a hoomin.

Mr. Burton and I made plans to meet up later in the day and have a late
lunch at the Fruit Bar.  Fresh watermelon chunks!  Bananna hunks!
Honeydew!  Cantaloupe!  Rasins!  Cold stewed prunes!  I can hardly wait.

In the meantime, I can see Mr. Burton off in the distance.  Fuzzie is
riding his back!  Oliver and Fancy are playing tug of war with Mr.
Burtons new wings.  Leo and Gabby and Seth are running in giant circles
around everybody!  I think I'll, ah, stay over here for a while!

Sandee