Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 10:07:08 -0500
I don't believe ferrets are here to serve us. I believe when we take
ferrets, or any being, into our home, life, and hopefully our heart,
we also take on the responsibility of care for them the way they need
and deserve.

Ferrets depend on us for everything. Many are caged when not supervised
and I understand that some lifestyles do not allow free roam ferrets.
Dogs and cats typically have the run of the house so if someone is busy
doing other things they don't suffer as much as a confined ferret. I
truly do not understand why some people think it is o.k. because they
are too busy, or have 'others' in their life that take priority, to
keep ferrets cage-bound for a day or more. sigh.

Here's an idea - what about on those days that for whatever reason you
don't want to take your ferrets out of the cage, set up a ferret pen
with tubes and toys so they at least get some out of cage time. If
you can figure out how to hook the pen to the cage so they can't climb
the cage to get out that would be even better (maybe lay a piece of
plexiglass or wood across the top of the pen that is against their
cage).

Please remember that once today is over, it will never be back again.
We have one chance to make the most of each day. It's morbid to think
of, but if your ferret is left in the cage today and tomorrow your
ferret dies - this little one's last day was spent in confinement and
confusion.

Ferrets live in the moment - perhaps we need to take this lesson to
heart.

Maybe I feel more strongly in this issue because of the ferrets I've
shared my home and love with, the things I've seen and been through
with these precious little beings.

Drac was kept in a small pet carrier from kit to 3 yrs old when he
finally came to me. He had no muscle tone, he had no idea how to play,
and he was brain damaged. Casper lived with 3 companions in a Cat condo
cage, never let out except in a big ball but he didn't roll around,
just scratched to get out. He lived like that for a year before he and
his companions came to me. Binky was kept in a cage for 6 months, only
got out for a few minutes when the cage was cleaned. He was terrified
of being put in a cage the rest of his life. Squeezle only got out of
his cage on a leash and only for a few minutes at a time because he
was into everything. And so many more horror stories...

Sometimes I wonder how my heart doesn't break into a million pieces,
but then who would be here to help these precious little beings.

tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org