From:
Karen Daigneault <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 10:53:49 -0500
I have been on this list for over 2 1/2 years now ~ sometimes posting,
mostly lurking.  I've noticed lots of new people :), read several debates
that continually pop up and still continue to learn.  Reading the FML
today for some reason prompts me to write.

>In my opinion act responsibly and do not trust any animal they were once
>wild and I believe that you can't take whats born into something out, not
>completely anyways.

And I don't entirely agree with this.  Although *every* circumstance is
different, and should be treated as such, there are different sides to
"every story".

Early in your post you stated that you didn't feel that any animal should
be left unattended with a child until the age of 10.  You did, tho, say
that an animal acts in the way it was raised.  I am a firm believer of
this.  I have 10 ferrets, six dogs, 1 hamster and 1 g.pig.  I also have a
daughter that is now 9 and was raised with animals her whole life!  4 of
the dogs have been with us since she was 3, and she has been around ferrets
since she was 2.  When I adopted 4 ferrets from a gentleman that had health
problems and could not keep them, one was a severe nipper.  She would
literally lunge at my daughter.  Always an animal lover, as well as being
very patient, Manna did not give up and literally trained Samantha not to
bite.  Samantha has not nipped (or lunged) at *anyone* since 2 months after
we got her.

For her 7th birthday Amanda wanted a kit.  She got one and raised him
herself.  For his first 8 months in our house at night he slept in a cage
right next to her bed.  He is now one of the most cuddly, friendly, playful
ferrets we have.  He often accompanies us on outings.  Thanks to Sam in New
Zealand, Manna is in modern ferret #23 with "her boy" and my mini greyhound

I agree that in most instances animals and children should be supervised.
But, again, it is all in how an animal is treated and raised.  My animals
are part of my family and are raised as such.

Now, my 2 cents on Edward L.  It has gotten to the point that I read his
posts and then read the reactions that he creates just because he stirs up
so much crap!  Whereas last year I would read his posts and want to respond
back in anger, now?  Well, what can I say?  There is more to life then
getting angered by someone that purposely does what he does and does it
very well.  As Bill posted, he managed to accomplish getting everyone
talking about him.

Karen,Manna & the 10 carpet sharks