From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 09:28:43 -0400
It was odd that about two minutes after reading yesterday's FML, and the
story of the crickets in the bathtub, that I found Penny under the dining
room table with what remained of a two-inch "Palmetto bug" hanging out of
her mouth.  When I approached, she stopped chewing, looked up at me and
clamped her mouth shut as if to say, "what bug?"   But, the little legs
sticking out both sides of her mouth gave her away.  I walked away feeling
better that she wasn't eating something she wasn't supposed to eat and she
happily continued her meal

We call them "Palmetto bugs" as a defense mechanism.  They are really just
huge cockroaches that mostly live outside but no one likes to admit they
have cockroaches in their house.  They're a fact of life here though, and
anyone who lives in Southern Florida and says they've never had an
occasional Palmetto bug in their house is either blind or lying.

Penny loves 'em, but then she'll eat just about anything.  The two boys will
munch on one occasionally, but they won't go to a lot of trouble to catch
one.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
*
* Visit our web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org