From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 15:04:27 -0500
>By never purchasing anything by Marshall Farms ... the ferrets are the ones
>that are going to be hurt .... Not Marshall Farms.  If we all decide we're
>not going to buy Marshall Farm ferrets ... the only place left for all of
>them to go is to the lab to be tested on.
>Robin

Robin, I understand your dilemma and concern for the kits, however, this
practice only encourages an increased production as I am sure you can see
the vicious cycle this sets up.  Please keep in mind that Marshall
exterminates(oh, I forgot, "retires") its Jills when they can no longer
produce(this MF has never disputed), and with over 30-33,000 breeders(est),
that's a whole lot of dead fuzzies each year, but hey, they're cheap and
they reproduce when alive, so supply is not a problem.  It's also much
cheaper and easier to kill a ferret than find a home for one, especially in
those numbers(Marshall does allow some labs to adopt some of these
breeders--relatively few--with an agreement by these labs to use Marshall
products).  There have been retiree offers to shelters after much
negotiating, but at over 60 bucks a piece, it gets prohibitive.

>>From:    Brandy Jean Ashmore <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Marshall Farm Ferrets
>>http://www.acmeferret.com/infobank/marshall.htm,
>>http://www.acmeferret.com/infobank/ferabuse.htm
>In our opinion those articles have been discredited...

Perfectly couched response.  Who could argue this was *not* your opinion ;-).

>>If this thread has the same life-cycle that most of these MF threads do it
>>will go something like: 1.) lots of posts with strong emotions, some to
>>little real information, alot heresay, and alot of rumors; 2.) people get
>>offended by differing viewpoints; 3.) Flames; 4.) Bill closes the topic.
>>And at the end of it all, nothing has changed.
>Kimberly Burkard

Kim speaks from experience, as so with many of us who have endured this
debate and all its morays.  However, I don't agree that it is entirely
unproductive, albeit painful, if the numerous responses I have received in
the past are any indication.  But you're right, things move very slowly
concerning Marshall, especially since many are torn because of the money
they have dumped into the CA legalization efforts.  They are wisely
positioning themselves in the front of this concern(very good business
strategy).

>looked at the pages that were supposed to be so BAD about Marshall Farms..
>And its a bunch of Extremist Animal Rights BS..I never believe anything the
>HSUS ever says since
>Jazmyn Concolor

Wow, HSUS is an extremist organization!  I did not know this.  I do know
they don't condone pet mills, and certainly MF qualifies.

HEADLINES: HSUS Walk For The Animals Leads To Rioting And Chaos!" Mayhem In
Miami as HSUS supporters rape and pillage downtown community!  Perhaps you
are thinking of PETA...

>Besides, from what I understand, the bloodlines raised for labs are
>DIFFERENT then the pet bloodlines, which are raised for temperment...I've
>heard the lab bred stock is somewhat more 'agressive'..

Another surprise, aggressive lab animals, hmmm, every tech's dream.  I
wonder if you've ever seen a Marshall ad for lab use.  Many have.  It
promotes smaller and very docile subjects.

>Not to mention that if Marshall quit breeding ferrets for labs, someone else
>would breed them instead...

Jazmyn, maybe you've missed the point.  Marshall actively *promotes* the use
of ferrets for lab experiments.  They're not just supplying a niche',
they're fostering one.

>I'd love to even start a rescue for placing old breeders from ferret
>breeders in new homes...An old folks home for ferrets?  Hmmm....

A noble dream, however, you are going to need a *very* big home: an even
bigger one if Marshall gets it's wish to populate CA.

Jazmyn, I don't mean to pick on you.  But you just happened to display some
points that were not only accusational, but in grievous error.  I certainly
respect your opinion about your belief supporting ferret use in lab
experiments, though I adamantly disagree.  As I said before, I ain't gonna
pi** upwind.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi