From:
Diane Burman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 17:58:13 -0500
If this topic has previously been discussed & I missed it, please accept my
apologies for bringing it up again.

Bandit is a MF ferret approximately 5 years old.  I adopted Bandit & Buster
just over 3 years ago & at that time I was told that they were 2yo.  They
were my introduction (by fire <g>) to ferrets.  Within 2 months of adopting
them, Bandit totally blocked (Urinary tract).  I knew *very* little about
ferrets & had never heard of adrenal glands, never mind adrenal tumors.
Apparently the vet I was using didn't know a whole lot more.  She performed
a P/U on Bandit (for those that don't know what a P/U is - it anatomically
changes a he to a she pretty much).  Six months later Bandit was blocked
again & the vet didn't know what to do.  I quickly found a wonderful
exotics vet 2 hours from my home who explained all about adrenal tumors &
operated on Bandit "fixing" the problem for good.  Or so we thought.  It's
now been 2-1/2 years since Bandit's adrenal surgery & he is again straining
to "go" though he doesn't appear totally blocked at this point.  It's hard
to tell what function is causing his problem though.  Often he strains &
produces nothing but other times he strains & produces about a
quarter-sized puddle of urine or a short thin squiggle of poop.  It's hard
to tell if he's have a bowel problem or UT problem.  Assuming it was a UTI,
the vet (no longer the one that did the P/U or the one that did the adrenal
surgery) put him on Amoxi.  Thirty-six hours later there was no improvement
so he was x-rayed.  The x-rays indicates that 1 of his kidneys is very
enlarged.  Bandit is also scheduled for an ultra-sound on Friday & since
the vet isn't convinced that he isn't also having a bowel problem, he may
be having a barium series done soon after the ultra-sound.  In the
mean-time his antibiotic has been changed to Baytril 2x/day and I'm
continuing to give him so petro-malt (incase it is a partial bowel
obstruction after all).

I'd like to know if anyone has experience with a ferret exhibiting similar
symptoms and what was the diagnosis & outcome.  I'd also like to know if
anyone has had a ferret with a very large kidney & what was the cause &
outcome.  Naturally I'm worried about cancer & anything else that might
have a dire prognosis.  So far Bandit appears alert & still begs for
treats, he just spends too much time being uncomfortable, running from
corner to corner & straining to go with little or no "output".  :-(

TIA,
Diane & the gang