From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 23:44:10 -0500
Naming the products doesn't mean that they are available in Chile - only
a local vet can tell you exactly which ones are available.

However, it doesn't matter - as long as you stick to the guidelines which
you just mentioned, an attenuated MLV which is not grown in ferret tissue,
you should do fine.

>2. What is the best: to vaccine the ferret with a dog vaccine that
>contains other viruses than can compromise the ferret health or not
>to vaccine him against distemper and hope for the best.

Vaccinate him with a 5-way, absolutely!  We did this for years before
Fervac ever came on the market with no problems.  Yes, he'll be vaccinated
for a couple of diseases he can't really catch, but he'll be protected
against distemper.

>3.  If I live in an appartment building where is not allowed to have cats
>or dogs an the ferret will be indoors all the time except for the visits
>to the vet, what are the chances that he gets distemper?  I know the virus
>can travel through air and clothes but what are the real chances?

Another question I can't answer.  It really depends on how many people
get their dogs routinely vaccinated against distemper in Chile, and the
numbers of wild or stray dogs around your apartment.  Without knowing more
about the level of veterinary care in Chile, I would not want to lead you
astray.

Best idea - get that 5-way vaccine, or better yet, if available, a puppy
distemper shot.  (In the states, they used to manufacture a distemper only
product for very young puppies.  I don't think it is available any longer
in the states, but it may be in Chile.)

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM