From:
Margaret Zick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 11:53:56 -0500
Sorry if someone has already said this, but I have been having e-mail
problems and aol seems to be loosing things and/or double sending them.  So
if you have e-mailed me and haven't heard from me, you might want to try
again.

Anyway, be very careful about traveling with ferrets into or out of the
state of Texas.  They have been under a rabies quarantine for nearly a year
now.  Several states will not allow animals of any kind, with any paperwork
into their state from Texas.  Others will only allow cats and dogs with
current health certificates and vaccinations.  Each is different and you
need to check.

Going into Texas you should be very careful also.  Be sure you all required
paperwork.  Call the Texas Deptartment of Health and they can give you the
1-800 number hotline for current rabies info.  Yes, the problem is very bad.
The state has been dropping vaccines in bait for over a year now trying to
control rabies in coyotes and fox.  They have had human rabies deaths there.

And there are several cities where ferrets are illegal. San Antonio, Denton,
Dallas, and Ft. Worth to name a few. I have been told by Trish Curtis that
Dallas and Ft. Worth are enforcing their laws.

And state mandated quarantine for ferrets is a very new law.  Just enacted
earlier this year.

Maggie Mae