From:
Mary McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2008 15:32:34 +0000
Some one asked how to get their ferret to eat raw meat.

Well I can tell you what worked with mine it might be worth a try. My
older ferrets were not interested in raw meat at all, they would take a
raw chicken wing and stash it in a corner and I would remove it hours
later untouched. Someone suggested to me that part of the problem was
that it was too much trouble to eat, so I minced it, the whole wing,
bones and all, using an old fashioned hand meat mincer. I'm sure the
motor on a modern machine would burn out. I started giving them the raw
mince every night, when it was cooler and fewer flies around, while
they were in their cage. I would take their kibble away while they had
the meat and to start with I had hungry boys after a few hours when i
gave the kibble back. After a few nights the ate some and it built up
from there.

Now they have a variety of different meats, basically anything that
is on a special off when I am shopping. They have their meat at night
still because i can't stand flies, and I can now leave their kibble in
the cage and they will eat the meat in preference. I intend to feed
them exclusively meat in the cooler months but want them to continue
eating kibble as it is convenient when we travel and when we go to
events with them.

Mary
www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/maisieshepherd