Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 07:13:40 -0800
I did not have ferrets in the 60/70/80's, we did have cats and dogs.  Our
cats ate whatever cat food was on sale and/or they would eat.  Smousie
would eat only Purina Cat Chow, she lived to be 19 1/2.  Our other cats
lived anywhere from 14 to 18.  The dogs were fed KalKan, Alpo, again
whatever was on sale.  I remember trying to switch to a food without
horse meat, not easy to find.  Corn seemed to be # 1 in any food.  Our
dogs lived to be 14/13/17.  Muffin, (17) was epileptic from 10 weeks of
age.  She was on Dilantin for many years, she still had seizures
regularly, always around a full moon.  Our son's friend's mother decided
Muffi was possessed and would not allow her son to come to our home.
sigh... At around 14 Muffi developed kidney problems and we put her on
Hills k/d.  In two months time her seizures were greatly reduced.  The
vet thought it may be the low salt content in the food.  (This in the
70's) I recall him saying some pet foods were high in salt/sugar to make
them tasty, that way the pet owner bought what the animal liked the best.
I always wondered why Smousie ate only Purina Chow, the other cats ate
Friskies, Meow Mix, etc.  Not her, if her bowl was empty, be prepared for
a huge Tuxedo cat sitting on your head at midnight.  Sure miss her.......

In Touch, Ardith

mailto:[log in to unmask]