From:
"Mark D. Chavez" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1993 17:32:59 -0400
[Please remember "[log in to unmask]".  Receiving
stuff addressed to [log in to unmask] is largely a matter
of luck.  There is no such machine "ocunix.on.ca".]

For those interested in that taurine thread a while back - here is
a reference yielding some information:

Chapman, R.A., Suleiman, M.S., and Earm, Y.E. "Taurine and the Heart"
Cardiovascular Research March 1993, 27(3), p. 358-363.

To summarize, for most carnivores (includes ferrets) have a poor
capacity to synthesize taurine yet it is found in large amounts
in the heart.  It is thought that taurine is connected with the
Na pump, etc. etc.  Bottom line - carnivores depend on dietary
taurine which must be transported across several cell membranes
to accumulate in the heart, so make sure your ferret is getting
it (the taurine) on a regular basis (doesn't say recommended amount).

Another more general review is:

Huxtable, R.J. "Physiological actions of taurine" Physiol.
Rev. 1992:72:p. 101-163.

     On the lighter side, recently I had a tug-of-war match with
Spud over a gummi worm.  Man, those things (gummis) can *stretch*.
He has a really bad habit of checking out *everything* I eat,
usually the scene goes sniff, sniff, no thanks, but this time
it was war.  Caution with gummis, Spud took too big a chunk and
started coughing, so I had to get it back from him.  The next
time I was eating gummis he got very excited but I wouldn't let
him have any.  So Spud climbs up to my shoulder and tries to
intercept the gummis as I ate them.  I guess you had to be there.
Anyway, will try to mix in Spud stories with the hardcore
material, after all ferrets are more fun than trouble!

Mark.