From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2014 22:56:40 -0500
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24499333

J Wildl Dis. 2014 Feb 5. [Epub ahead of print]

Ectoparasites in Black-footed Ferrets (Mustela nigripes) from the
Largest Reintroduced Population of the Conata Basin, South Dakota, USA.

Harris NC, Livieri TM, Dunn RR.
Author information

Abstract
The black-footed ferret, Mustela nigripes, is an endangered carnivore
endemic to the grasslands of North America. We present the first
investigation of ectoparasites associated with black-footed ferrets
since reintroduction. We sampled more than 200 individuals from one
of the largest and most successful reintroduced populations located in
the Conata Basin of South Dakota, USA. We compared our findings with
ectoparasite assemblages of sympatric carnivores and historic ferret
records. We collected more than 1,000 ectoparasites consisting mainly
of three flea and tick species, two of which were known historically
from South Dakota. Despite our extensive sampling efforts, we did not
detect any lice. This is notable because a putative host-specific
louse, Neotrichodectes sp., was presumed to have gone extinct when
black-footedferrets were extirpated from the wild. The ectoparasite
assemblage on black-footed ferrets comprised only generalist parasites,
particularly those found on their prey such as prairie dogs (Cynomys
sp.). Oropsylla hirsuta was the most abundant ectoparasite,
representing 57% of all ectoparasites detected; a flea vector important
in the persistence and transmission of plague. Black-footed ferrets
like other endangered species undergo repeated parasite removal and
vaccination efforts to facilitate population recovery, which may have
unintentionally contributed to their depauperate ectoparasite
community.

PMID: 24499333 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]