From:
Chris & Shelley Knudsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 22:55:25 -0700
Hello!

I have never before posted trying to find a home for a ferret, but I have
one in my shelter that desperately needs a good home, but who is having a
very hard time finding one.  The problem is that she is an 'only child'
ferret.  No matter who I try to put her with, she does not get along.  She
has been in the shelter for 6 months now, and she needs more time and
attention than she gets in the shelter.  A little bit about her background:

Princess (Her name is LizBeth, but I have nicknamed her Princess, because
she acts like one) came in with a companion ferret, Jimmy.  They had been
cagemates for 2 years.  Although they never actually drew blood on each
other, they fought constantly.  Their former owners said they had a hard
time integrating the two, and that although they made a lot of noise, they
were just playing.  Princess screamed so loudly when they were 'playing',
that I couldn't sleep, and she was down the hall in a room with a closed
door.  They would chase each other, causing what I can only call fear
poopie.  They did not sleep together, and fought whenever they came in
contact.  After talking to several other shelter operators, and her former
owners, I made the decision to separate them.  Jimmy has since been happily
adopted out to a local family.  Princess was adopted out once, but returned.
She beat up mercilessly on the second ferret they adopted from me, and drew
blood on their 60lb dog several times.  After she was returned, I tried
integrating her into several different groups.  I thought perhaps I had
suceeded, but four of the guys in my own group, who were tired of being beat
up on, ganged up on her, and ripped her back to shreds within the space of
about 1 minute.  She was so terrified, she bit me quite thoroughly to the
point where I finally had to tip the couch over that she was hiding
underneath to be able to grab her without being bit.  Since then, every time
I think that maybe I have found someone she can get along with, she proves
me wrong in about 2 seconds flat.  She does the 'death shake' on
unsuspecting ferrets.  I think it is possible to integrate her with another
ferret, but I don't think she would ever be happy that way.

Princess will need to go to a home where she can be the only ferret for the
rest of her life.  She is now about 3 yrs old.  She is beautiful, a black
eyed white, who is extremely playful.  She can outlast me anytime in
playing, and seems to have endless energy.  She is very friendly to people,
although I'm not sure about leaving her with young children.  She has never
bitten anyone, except in fear.  In my opinion, she is the perfect ferret,
except for her aversion to other ferrets.  She seems to get along with our 3
cats okay, but our dog is terrified of her.  Another thing, you don't want
to scruff her.  I can only think that she was punished badly while being
scruffed.  She can be the sweetest most affectionate thing (she gives kisses
too), but if you try to scruff her, she turns into this writhing ball of fur
with teeth snapping.

If there is anyone out there who thinks that she might fit in your home,
please call or e-mail me.  The longer she is here, the harder it will be on
her to go to yet another new home.  I love her to death, but she needs more
time and attention than I can give her with anywhere from 15 to 30 ferrets
at any given time.  I will be wanting to interview any prospective adopters,
and although we usually have an adoption fee of $50, I will be willing to
waive it, or reduce it in order to find her a good home.  She is current on
her shots, and in good health save for an incomplete descenting, which has
gotten infected once since she has been in the shelter.  Amoxicillan cleared
it up quickly.  I would be willing to travel a good distance to your home,
or perhaps to meet someone half way.  I am thinking of driving down to
Florida in January for the fml party, and if you are anywhere near that
route, I would be happy to bring her with me.  Or, if you are out west or
north, maybe the fml could help with transportation.  Either way, I want her
to find a good home where she can get the attention she deserves.  I am
located in Hastings, Nebraska.  You can e-mail me at [log in to unmask] , or
call me at 402-463-0190 or 402-461-6541.

Dooks and kisses from Princess,
Shelley Knudsen
Legion of Superferrets of Nebraska Ferret Shelter