From:
Nancy Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2008 11:35:28 -0500
And I'm not just talking about the pumpkin pie most of you are chowing
on as I write this. I'm talking about our latest rescue, fondly named
"Punkin Pie" for obvious reasons. A nice cable guy found this little
girl left abandoned outside in the cold, near frozen and emaciated,
perhaps minutes from death before delivering her to the door of The
Ferret Inn, our shelter in Columbia, MD. Read more about this miracle
girl's survival on our blog here http://www.theferretinn.org

A one night stay at our vet's brought her back to us ready for a full
recovery. The Vet bill for yesterday, for 6 of our ferrets totaled
over $700.00 which is not unusual.

The economic downturn has resulted in an increase of surrenders and
a decrease in adoptions. As a volunteer and I were standing at the
kitchen table last night, nursing little Punkin Pie and some other
sick ferrets, there was a knock at the front door. My neighbor Terry,
from across the street, was standing at our door in tears, holding a
beautiful young female blaze. Her house is in foreclosure, she has lost
her business, and all of her savings, and has to be out by this Sunday.
This little Blaze, who we have named "The Girl Next door", is one of
the few animals she has to re-home due to the down fall in the economy.

So here we are, thankful for our families, thankful for our jobs, our
homes, and thankful for "Punkin Pie".....

I would also like to thank those on the FML who participated in the
Thanksgiving Card Exchange as we have received many heartfelt thanks
and beautiful cards here at The Inn.

Sincerely,
Nancy Wilson, Director
The Ferret Inn