From:
Julie Fossa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 May 1999 11:08:48 -0700
This is the first part of the post that did not get posted to the FML
yesterday, but I am re-posting both parts today.

This post is rather graphic, so if you have a weak stomach, you may want to
pass on it.  We need information from anyone else in the ferret community
that has seen or dealt with this parasite.  I am posting this to the FML,
the shelter list, and several individuals, since it is time sensitive.  I
know they are busy, and may be a little behind on the FML, as I am.
Thanks...

In April, a one year old sable gib was turned over to our shelter by the
local humane society.  Tigger has a delightful personality, and gets along
with any ferret you put him with.  He has a family waiting for him, as soon
as they are moved, and we correct a 'health' problem.

When Tigger came in, he had a raised, solid, blister- like mass, a little
smaller than a dime, on the top of his left front foot.  I took him to my
vet, but he did not seem too concerned, but decided to we should watch it
for a while.

It did get larger, and mid-May he developed a 'mass' higher on this same
leg, so Tigger went back to the Dr. again.  The new mass appeared to be
an infection, so Tigger was put on Clavamox.  The new mass went down, but
there still feels like some scar tissue, or something of the sort, in the
tissues at this site.  The antibiotic did not affect the mass on his foot,
and by this time, it was as large in diameter as a nickle, and raised not
quite a half an inch in height.

Dr. Higgins, at this point (5/24) did a needle aspirate, and sent the
sample to a lab in Columbus.

The information that came back on the lab report is as follows:

HISTOPATHOLOGIC or CYTOLOGIC DIAGNOSIS
Needle Aspirate:
Foot: Severe parasitism and eosinophilic granulomatous inflamation
Large numbers of larvae with annulated cuticle and very long thin tail are
present.  Uterine eggs, as yet undeveloped, are also present.  The Larvae
do not stain, and sometimes have basophilic large granules in their bodies.

BIOLOGICAL BEHAVIOR/COMMENTS
The identy of the larvae is uncertain.  I'ld need an adult to try to
classify the parasite.  There are multiple possibilities of worms which
could cause a subcutaneous/muscle lesion or obstruct lymphatics.  Suspect
spirurid or rhabditiform larvae.

(end)

Dr. Higgins has never seen anything like this before, and, needless to say,
we were both rather shocked.

Ferrets Rabbits and Rodents does not mention this particular infestation,
however, does mention other subdermal cysts, and recommends removing the
worm, debriding the wound, and taking appropriate measures to prevent
infection.

Fox, Biology and Disease of the Ferret, (Pages 540 through 545) does
mention a worm which...'is a spirurid nematode'... causing a disease
known as Dracunculiasis.

In this disease, simply put, a worm lives inside a dermal blister, up to 12
months or longer, until mature.  At this point, when the blister comes into
contact with fresh water, the blister ruptures, and the worm emerges.  The
female worm then ruptures, and releases ... 'tens of thousands of motile
first-stage larvae'... Unfortunately, Fox doesn't give any treatment for
eradicating the parasite.

This is a natural parasite of raccoons, weasels, and other carnivores in
North America.

I was out of town yesterday when Dr. Higgins called.  I believe he had been
in contact with the lab again.  Appearently they feel that this is probably
what the infestation is.