From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 09:32:36 -0500
When I went to Canada I asked several different people to take shifts while
I was gone so all the work was not on one person and this might work well
for others too.

I had one person stay over night on Friday and Saturday nights.  I asked
that she be there by 11 and stay till 7 a.m.  Of course there isn't much
sleeping at my house but I'm sure she enjoyed the experience (right
Lynda?). :-)  When she got there at 11 everything was done for the
evening.  Then in the morning she did the feedings and the morning chores
before leaving at 7.

The next person was asked to come around noon or so and stay till about 4.
This person did afternoon chores and feedings.

The next person came around 6 and stayed till 10 or 11.  This person did
evening chores and feedings.

These were the shifts that were to be covered and any one of the caretakers
could come any time they wanted other than that, which some did (thank you
so much Stacey and Frank!).  Nancy also tried to be there during the day
shifts so she could identify ferrets for special feedings.

I did type up a list of everything that needed to be done, when, and how
to do it (in great detail) and gave each person a copy as well as leaving
two copies at the house on the counter.  I also included all the caretakers
names, numbers, and schedules on each persons list and on the wall by the
telephone as well as my contact numbers and flight schedule.

The benefit of having different people coming in at different times is that
if one person misses something, hopefully the next person will catch it.
Also, dividing the day into 3 sections puts less work on any one person as
they all will be doing chores while there.

So when needing to take some time away, try to line up several reliable
people that are willing to come in at least once during the time you are
gone.  My helpers (and dear friends) helped make my trip to Canada
possible.  Without their help I would not have gone.

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services
Please sign up to support our charity