From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 15:09:00 -0700
Hi,

Dawn Heisey <[log in to unmask]> asked about airlines that allow ferrets on
board.

I don't know if anyone maintains the definitive list of airlines that take
ferrets, but besides _Delta_, I know _U.S.  West_ and _America West_
explicitly do allow them on board.  I've taken ferrets on Alaska Airlines,
but that was a tad tricky and wasn't explicitly allowed.

The airline policy I read about ferrets also required that ferrets be legal
at the departing and arriving locations, too, so you couldn't take a ferret
from somewhere to California, since ferrets are still not legal there.

Even on airlines that explicitly allow ferrets, you may have to explain the
airline policy to ignorant security guards or maybe even ignorant airline
personnel (which is another reason to be darned sure about the airline's
policy).  I haven't ever had a problem, but I'm pretty self-confident and
don't take much crap from people.

BTW, if I were doing it, I would buy 1 "pet ticket" and stick both ferrets
in one under-the-seat carrier.  I would be extremely reluctant to allow my
ferrets to be checked as baggage even in temperate weather, and would
absolutely refuse to send them in the cargo hold a) during hot or cold
weather, b) for a flight that was more than one segment, or c) for a flight
longer than 2 hours.

Good Luck!
Dennis