From:
Kristen Thelander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 15:45:02 -0500
Subject: We're new...

Hi, I just discovered this list a few weeks ago and have learned a great
deal by reading it.  My heart has gone out to each person who has just
recently lost a lovable fuzzie.  Unfortunately, this sad experience is what
has brought me to write.  Last night, my fiance and I lost our little
Nikki.  She was only 7 months old.  Her death is very upsetting to us, not
only because she was our baby, but because we had no warning.  We have no
idea how or why she died.  She had just been to the vet about a month ago
for her second set of shots and she was in "perfect" health.  She had also
just recovered from a broken humerus, which had required surgery.  I am
very upset because just the night before her death, we had taken her over
to our friend's house and she was playing and jumping around the entire
time.  She had been eating and drinking regularly and there was nothing
wrong with her stool.  When I got home last night, I went over to the
girls' cage to let them out for playtime, and I found Casey (our four month
old silvermitt) curled up on top of Nikki in their hammock.  I first picked
up Casey (Nikki usually needs more time to wake up) and then put her down
on the bed and proceeded to pick up Nikki.  I was absolutely horrified at
what I saw.  It appeared that she had died in her sleep, which I am in a
way grateful that she did not suffer a long, painful death, and there
appeared to be a bloodstain on her teeth.  Her death completely shocked me
and I really can't come up with any answers.  If anyone can come up with a
suggestion, or has experienced something similar, please respond.  It is
hard enough losing her.  She was our first ferret and she was too young to
die.  I am also worried about Casey, because she was very close with Nikki
and now she seems withdrawn and less playful.  Nikki's death has really
hurt us all.  She was very loving and gentle; she would give anyone she
came into contact with kisses.  She loved to steal my high heeled shoes and
after playing would always come up onto the bed while I was watching tv and
curl up on my stomach.  She was one of the bestest friends I've ever had.

Again, my condolences to anyone else going through this painful experience.

Kristen (mommy)
Chris (daddy)
Casey (who am I supposed to sleep with now?)
Nikki (maybe there are high heels in heaven)