From:
Urban Fredriksson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1993 13:10:16 -0500
I don't think it very remarkable that ferrets from different
places have wildly different personalities. My present two ones
were born from the same parents, at the same time and place, and
came to me at the same time aged 4 months or so. I treat them the
same, but I know they weren't where they came from.

Allison was the smallest of five siblings, and as such was
obviously and admittedly spoiled. I didn't have to tell her that
biting noses hurts, which took 14 days to explain to Natasha.
Their previous owner couldn't even tell Natasha apart from the
third and last sister, and because of that, I'm sure that she had
less contact with humans.

Allison is used to have her way with everything, and hisses when
she is dissatisfied with something. Natasha on the other hand, is
the one who needs affection the most (but it took a while until I
could convince others of it, as she doesn't always act like it).

When having their claws cut for AD testing, Natasha squeeled;
Allison hissed, just like predicted. Likewise, Natasha is the
only one you risk beeing bitten by when taking too long to cut
her claws. (Ishtar never seemed to be bothered at all by it.)

Since Natasha is larger, she wins most fights at home. Like
kicking out Allison from some sleeping places. But apart from
that, I'd like to appoint Allison the inofficial Stockholm
Wrestling champion. If Natasha is jumped by someone, she mostly
doesn't resist and is thus rather easily beaten; Allison, while a
little smaller, never gives up and knows how to pin those twice
her size to the floor. That's what happens when you cuddle them a
lot while young! Likewise she's the most insistent when it comes
to climbing up places where she's not supposed to be, and so and
so on.

Natasha on the other hand, has always been easier to train, but
sometimes she seems stupid (by comparision). Allison is the one
that quickly caught on to the idea that it sometimes is easier to
reach objectives by indirect methods. Natasha always insists on
trying to jump lots of times first. When it comes to food
refills, I can't figure out Allison is smarter by just standing
where the food's usually served instead of following me to the
kitchen and back, like her sister, or if she treats me like her
servant or what.
--
 Urban Fredriksson  [log in to unmask]