Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 07:09:58 -0400
Well, it seems that I have opened up the proverbial can of worms.  I never
meant to instill panic in ferret owners residing in Detroit.  The many
e-mails I have received and phone calls make me wonder if I should have
mentioned it at all.  The bottom line is that ferrets are illegal.  After
my post of the other day I decided that I should check it out again (just
in case I had to eat crow).  Much to my dismay I was told again that
ferrets and rabbits are illegal.  They are considered "exotic".

The department of agriculture makes recommendations.  The cities take these
recommendations and adopt the ones they want.  They amend, ratify and enact
the ones they choose into an ordinance.  (I believe I have this right)

I was a member of the GLFA for a very long time.  I never knew that ferrets
were illegal.  Unless you go looking for a city ordinance you don't know.
We chose to get the ordinances from various cities because we adopt out.
We are a rescue/shelter organization and need to know.  For instance,
ferrets can not be sold in the city of Livonia until they are 10 weeks of
age.  That is through a pet store-not just a hobby breeder.  In Sterling
Heights, you are allowed a total of three pets and that includes ferrets.
Every ferret owner should have at hand copy of their city ordinance.

Elections are coming up for the city of Detroit.  This may be a good time
to try to get the ordinance changed.

Mary

http://www.mkaresq.com