Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 10:58:48 EST
>To what has been said on the topic in general, let me add my "So what?"
>on this particular point.
>
>We Americans (don't know about elsewhere) seem to think credit cards are
>a panacea, free money.  Well, kids, it ain't so.  It still comes out of
>your pocket at the end of the month, PLUS fees and interest.  If you
>don't have the cash, you don't need to be whipping out that plastic....
>
>Roger

I am that shelter.  I have a MC for the shelter.  Just because I have a
credit card, doesn't mean I don't use it responsibly - I do have a board,
as well as other directors to answer to.  I find it somewhat insulting
that because I have a credit card in the shelter's name I am painted
running around willy-nilly charging things.  The credit card balance is
paid off each month (or as close as possible) that a charge is incurred.

Let me give you a scenario: I had four ferrets picked up from the SPCA -
Sadie had a horrible bladder infection, was anemic and obviously adrenal.
She had to be treated immediately for her bladder infection.  Bandit was
adrenal and already had surgery scheduled.  Then came along Brutus and
Popeye - two young boys that when I picked them up weighed less than 3/4
of a pound and were anemic and covered in fleas.  All of these ferrets
required treatment - Brutus and Popeye especially.  The boys were cheap
as far as veterinary care - fluids, some injections, advantage and pet
tinic.  Sadie was more expensive - to the tune of $850.  Bandit's adrenal
surgery was $420.  Yes, I paid most of the bill by check, but also put
some on the credit card.

Oh and yes, I am gainfully employed.

The shelter does have a budget.  It is created every year - we plan ahead
for what I consider to be the costs of being a shelter - how much food,
vaccines, vet bills, etc., do we think we will incur.  That also includes
ADV testing.  After 10 years of sheltering, its pretty safe to say what
our average year will be.  I know that my vet bill will probably be
between $5,000 and $8,000.  I know that ADV testing will be about $1,000
(we average from 80-100 ferrets each year).  By having a budget, I know
what the magic number is for fundraising - whether the funds come from
adoption fees, sale of merchandise or donation - I have that goal and we
plan for how we get to that number.

The shelter is a business.  A non profit charity for ferrets, but it
is still a business and that's how I approach the money aspect of it.  I
can't help the ferrets if I can't run my 'business' effectively.  I will
not wait for funds to be available in order to provide treatment for any
ferret that enters the shelter - there are too many conditions that
waiting = death.  Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea" is not just about me - its
about the 4 other volunteers that make up the board and directorship -
and anyone who supports us through adoption, volunteering, donation or
purchasing merchandise that we offer for sale.  The goal that we strive
for each year is for the shelter to be self-supporting - so that whether
or not I am employed (as was implied above) will not affect the survival
or well-being of the shelter.

Emergencies in sheltering are like the NJ Christmas rescue, the Utah
rescue.  No one can plan for 100 or 250+ ferrets at once..but we should
be able to plan for the one.

Lisa Leidig, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
www.ferrethaven.org