From:
Leslie Cucino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 17:57:46 -0400
Hi folks,

I stopped into Petco tonight, just to check on the wee ones as is my
habit.  The new manager was at the ferret enclosure so I pointed out to
her that one looked a bit too thin.  She said that's because MF ships
them way too young and they aren't ready to be taken away from their
mothers yet.  Hmmmmm, this woman is getting on my good side already :-)

We had a long discussion about the breeding farm practices and she
imparted some new information that I hadn't heard yet, so I'll pass
it on and hope it's not just wishful thinking.

She told me that Petco is going to begin their own breeding program with
local hand picked breeders.  They also will ship when the ferrets are old
enough, not when they've been weaned.  She said her concern is with the
health and well being of the animals and that corporate can make it work
(be profitable and caring/safe) if they can control the care, breeding
and shipping.  She says the plan should be implemented within a year to
a year and a half.

So there you have it, take it for what it's worth.  I know that here in
New England the ferrets I've seen in pet stores are all MF.  I'm not
aware of local breeders so I don't know who they have in mind.  It's
something for us all to keep our eyes on though, just to keep them
honest ;-)

Leslie