From:
Steve and Jessica Sorber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 2009 21:56:57 -0400
It makes me angry when I hear people complain about animals. "When
they're sick/ill, why don't you just let them go?" These are the type
of people who don't DESERVE an animal in their life. No, I didn't say,
shouldn't have, I said don't deserve. Yeah, these folks may give them a
great home when they're young, healthy, active, but let them slow down,
become ill, develop any type of physical/mental issue and it's time to
toss them out like rubbish.

I wish I could take every single one of these people and treat them
exactly the same as they want to or have treated an animal. When
they're in pain, I'll let their cries fall on deaf ears. When they
hunger I'll let their bellies growl. When they thirst and their throats
are so parched they can't speak, I'll turn away. When they can't walk,
I'll tell them figure it out, find a way to get where you need to go
on your own, even if it means dragging their bodies across the floor
to find a place to use the bathroom or to just lie in a different
position.

Human. The dictionary lists several meanings for the term "human". This
one I particularly find interesting. Check out #3, kind or considerate.
Somehow it just doesn't fit.

human

Adjective

1. of or relating to people: human occupants

2. having the qualities of people as opposed to animals, divine beings,
or machines: human nature

3. kind or considerate

Noun

a human being [Latin humanus]

I know there are millions of people who love and care for their animals
no matter what. Treat them like family.

I also know there are many people who treat humans the way they treat
animals, second rate, bottom of the barrel, a nuisance.

I pray to God that one day, these people meet their maker and have to
account for all they've done. And sitting beside the pearly gates will
be every animal they've ever wronged. When St. Peter asks, "Does this
person deserve to enter into heaven? Does this person deserve to be
blessed and have happiness forever?" Will those animals be more "human"
than the people ever were?

Jessica Sorber
Director of Membership
Pennsylvania Ferret Club and Shelter