From:
"Voorhees, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 11:32:23 -0500
Please remeber I dont even have a ferret yet so I have no idea the
relationship of smoking to ferrets.  However, I do have some experiance
with birds.  In that community it is believed it is hazardous fo a bird to
walk on the hand of a smoker (without washing).  Even when no cigarette is
present.  The bird would pick up toxins that were left on the fingers after
smoking.

It would seem to make sense that no animal should have any contact with
tobacco products (cigaretts/butts/ashtrays/empty packages).