From:
Nancy Park <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2011 21:56:58 -0700
Hugs to you Susan as well. Keep doing what you do. Some will not
understand but many of us do. What truly bothers me is when I hear a
"ferret shelter" proclaim that the old and non-adoptable automatically
get put down as , after all, they have no place in a shelter as they
are not adoptable. What part of the word "shelter" is not understood? I
know there are many wonderful shelters out there small and large that
do whatever they can for any ferret that crosses their door and tough
decisions need to be made. There are those very special persons that
help by taking those un-adoptable in and care for them as best they
can. But some, well trust me I was shocked when I realized what was
being done. Then there is the attack on my long time veterinarian that
without his help I would not have been able to save so many these past
12 years nor save my few jills and their kits that needed emergency
C-sections where I was there right along with him and his staff
delivering and resuscitating those kits. Sometimes the ferret community
can be very judgmental, thank goodness most are wonderful people. I am
a very small breeder but I also take in the ones that somehow find a
way to my door, about half of my crew are those ferrets. I know how it
is to stay up all night medicating, feeding and praying for just one
more miracle and then calling into work late because I am needed more
at home. I know the joy of seeing those pitiful beat down dead eyes
suddenly get a spark in them weeks later when they finally realize
someone cares and they are finally, truly safe. Nothing compares to
that first tentative paw on your leg from the "terrible biter" or the
first true direct look from that one that has been abused, nothing.

Nancy Park
FerrettownUSA.com
Ferretown.com