From:
Gail Elsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 08:10:29 -0500
I thought I would share my boyfriends ingenious method for making the
jumping ferret proof gates:

1. Get a full sheet of plywood and have the hardware store cut it in half
   (you can get 4-6 gates per sheet)
2. Measure your doorways (I have 3 foot and 5 foot doors)
3. Cut to fit inside the door way with 1 cm to spare
4. Get quarter round at the hard ware store, cut 1 foot pieces
5. Nail the pieces with the big side inside the width of the plywood plus
   .3 cms (2 per wall).  Make sure they are directly opposite of each
   other.  Make sure they are at least 3 inches from the top of the plywood.
6. I painted everything my trim color.
7. This latest addition, the 3 inch pvc pipe was to keep a jumper from
   pulling himself over.
8. Cut a straight seam in a PVC pipe the same width as the plywood for the
   doors (most difficult part).
9. Slip the PVC over the plywwod barrier.
10. Slip the barrier into the seam formed by the quarter round.
11. Cost for 6 doors, $35
12. Watching Bonnye work her fuzzbutt off to get out and fail, priceless.

Before we added the PVC, I tripped over them all the tiem.  The PVC pipe
allows my foot to slip (bad knee) and not catch.

If you want more details or picture, just let me know.
Gail