From:
"~*Jules*~" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:43:35 -0400
Hey, I got some good writing time in today!  So the story continues and
the mystery unfolds!  Have fun!  Send me all your comments!  I love to
hear from people who enjoy my writing.  It's nice to know if you make
someone smile! =)

Enjoy All!!
- Jules

Part Two

Recap: Our story started at the mansion of 15 Cherry Lane in Windy
Willows, England.  While a fierce thunderstorm raged outside, a strange
figure watched from within.  It was captivated by the storm and stood by
the windows in a trace like state until there was a knock at the door.
The figure was revealed to be a ferret in black as it lit lamps on its
way to open the door.  Upon opening the door, the ferret discovered a
very soggy, young rat.  He took the rat to the kitchen and there was
greeted by a badger named Carlos.  When Carlos heard that Van Helsing Von
Ferret (for that was his name) had not even bothered to ask the young
rat's name, he gave him a lecture on manners while completely ignoring
the young rat himself!  After a few minutes he realized what he was doing
and asked the rat his name and what he came for.  Ioan Dragos Bratiano
was his name and he'd come to deliver a message to Mr. Von Ferret.  We
rejoin the trio as they sit down by the fire to hear the message over
some bread and cheese.

"Thank you for the bread and cheese, Sir.  It is very good," said the
rat graciously.

"Good, good!  It's from a local farmer.  Have some more, if you like!"
the badger replied.  Ioan voiced another thank you and took a chunk of
cheese, glancing over at Van Helsing as he did so.  Van was an
intimidating site.  He sat on the edge of the firelight, not quite in
the shadows, but not fully in the glow.  The light from the flames danced
over his face, which gave him an almost creepy appearance.  He sat with
arms crossed and a brooding look on his face.  Not touching the bread and
cheese, he only stared into the fire.  Ioan found himself captivated by
Van, captivated and a little frightened.  As he ate his cheese, he stared
at Van like Van stared at the fire.

Carlos cleared his throat when Ioan had finished his second helping of
cheese.

"Ahem.  If you are finished, would you care to deliver your message?" he
asked the lad.  At that Van fixed his gaze on Ioan, and waited for him
to speak.

"Ah, yes Sir," Ioan replied nervously, glancing back and forth between
Van and Carlos.  "My Father sent me."

As those words passed from his mouth, he sat up straighter, looked Van
Helsing in the eyes, and found the courage to give the rest of his
message in a clear and confident voice.

"My Father sent me because there is a phantom that haunts our town.  It
has taken up residence in our cemetery and is wreaking havoc upon the
residents and our homes.  We have heard of your defeat of many similar
creatures, and the town requested that my father send for you.  Will you
come and rid us of this Phantom, Mr. Von Ferret?"

Van didn't answer right away.  In fact the silence became drawn out and
awkward before he uttered a sound.

"Where do you live?" he finally questioned.

"I live in Romania."

"What town?"

"Transylvania."

The flicker in Van's eyes at that name did not seem to be due to the
fire.  "Transylvania" Carlos mumbled.  "Yes, it would have to be there.
Of course."

"So, will you help us Mr. Von Ferret?" Ioan asked again.

After a few moments, Van Helsing answered.  "Yes, I will.  I also have
an old friend I would like to visit there." Ioan smiled and sighed with
relief.

"Tell me exactly what has been happening, Ioan.  I will need to know what
to prepare for."

Ioan launched into a description of the things that had been happening
in his hometown for the past few months.  "There've been many residents
showing up with marks on their necks or arms.  Some get strange fevers
after discovering they have these marks.  The farms that raise the beasts
for the carnivores have been losing stock to the phantom.  Their animals
either disappear or are found dead at morning rounds.  Even pets have
gone missing.  No one has died yet or disappeared, at least not before I
left, but we fear it is only a matter of time!"

"Has anyone seen this 'Phantom'?"

"No, Sir.  No one has seen it clearly.  A few have seen a great shadow
cross the sky.  Some have seen it go into the graveyard.  No one dares
to go in there anymore, not even the children dare to go near."

"Hmmm, interesting.  Thank you, Ioan."  Van's expression was troubled.

"Carlos, will you show Ioan to his room?  It is late and we should get an
early start in the morning.  I will meet you in the library."  With that
Van rose from his chair and exited the kitchen, without another word or
bidding of farewell.

"Come on, I'll show you where you'll stay for the night.  Do you have any
bags or extra clothes?" questioned the badger, as they left the kitchen
themselves.

"No, only what I wear.  I gave my things away a few weeks back, they were
only slowing my journey." Ioan replied as they traveled through another
maze of corridors.

"Oh my, well, I will find you some clean bed clothes for tonight and new
clothes for the journey back."

"Thank you, Sir.  Normally, I would not have need of your charity, but
I fear that my jacket has more drafts than an old castle and I've put
so many patches on my trousers that I think it must almost be made
completely of them!"

Carlos chuckled.  "Don't worry yourself, we get many strange of visitors.
Most of which have traveled very long and very far, so I always keep
spare clothes around.

"Really?"

"Yes, in fact Van had only just returned from a trip to Africa a few
weeks ago.  A pretty little Fire Skink came up to him in the Market with
a letter from an old family friend.  Something about a prison escapee
that no one could find, not that the poor fellow had a chance once Van
was on the job."

"Wow" was Ioan's only reply.

They walked in silence for a few minutes, Ioan taking in his
surroundings.  There were less frightening paintings in these halls.
There were paintings of badgers in brown robes, churches, and landscapes.
There seemed to be a resemblance between the badgers in the paintings and
Carlos, but Ioan did not comment.  His thoughts wandered into curiosity
about Van.

"Mr. um, Sir?" he said, realizing that he did not know what to address
Carlos as.  "Just call me Carlos." The badger replied with a smile.
"What is your question?"

"Is Mr. Von Furret always that, ah, um-"

Carlos almost giggled at the rat's loss for the proper word for what
exactly Van was.

"Yes he is always that way.  Don't be frightened.  His bark is worse
than his bite, so long as you aren't trying to kill him.  He has a rough
exterior, but he'll warm up to you.  It might take a while, but don't be
intimidated."

Ioan laughed sarcastically at that.  "How can one not be intimidated by
him?"

Carlos smiled.  "Well, I guess that is something you'll just have to
figure out.  Here's your room," he said, opening a door.

The room looked cozy.  It wasn't a large room, but it wasn't cramped.  A
fire was already burning in the fireplace.  A bowl and pitcher of water
stood on a stand on the wall to the left of the door.  A bed, already
made, stood to the right.  There was one window straight across from the
door, and from the look of things the storm was starting to dwindle.

"You get settled in and cleaned up.  I'll be right back with some night
clothes."

Ioan entered the room and right away went to the water and basin.  He
poured some water in the basin and washed his face, scrubbing behind his
ears and combing his whiskers.  When Carlos returned, Ioan was feeling
much better.

"Here's some night clothes, they should fit.  My room is two doors down
to the left.  If you need anything, don't hesitate to knock.  I'll
probably be in the library for the next hour or two though."

"Thank you, Mr- er- Carlos," he said while trying to stifle a yawn.

"Your welcome.  Now, get some rest.  I will probably be able to keep Van
from trying to leave at the crack of dawn, but he'll probably still want
to leave early."

"I will. Thank you again, Carlos."

"Goodnight." Ioan said shutting the door, changing into his nightclothes
and falling asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow.

What will Transylvania hold for Van?  What is terrorizing Ioan's
hometown?

Find out in tomorrow's installment of Van Helsing Von Furret in:
The Phantom of The 113th Street Cemetery