From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2011 20:12:00 -0700
Some days I love reading the FML and other days I end up starting the
day with a broken heart because of the sadness that I read here. Life
I suppose. The last few days have been those kind of days. Kevin
Farlee, the volunteers and vets work so hard for their ferrets at the
Washington Shelter when all is running normally. I send love and light
to the humans as well as the ferrets to help you push through this
unbelievable challenge.

My statement may be premature, but the loss here is so great and
touches so many so deeply that I hope as things settle in Washington,
the shelter considers some serious counseling for those involved. This
tragic event reminds me of the the loss Father Nature's suffered a
few springs ago when fire took the lives of all but three ferrets in
their shelter in NJ. I have talked with Keith since that time and he
continues his shelter work in a new location, but he and Evelyn have
been forever changed by such a difficult challenge in their lives.
Kevin told me of the counseling they sought. So many of us love our fur
babies so deeply that I cannot imagine folks experiencing this burden,
would not benefit from professional help.

One of the offerings our local Humane Society at Lollypop Farm offers
for folks who have suffered the loss of their pets is the Pet Loss
Support Group. They run a free three-week support group which helps
guide participants through the stages of loss and coping strategies.
Through sharing memories and creating tributes to their loved family
members, so they might begin the process of healing.

For those of us who go beyond simply having animals for pets - who
reach out to help at animals shelters, humane societies, rescue groups
or run shelters does not make us tougher or untouched by tragedy
because we choose to take on the responsibilities of more lives. Maybe
more than ever we are the folks who need these kind of courses so we
can continue on our path and best serve those animals in need who come
to our doors after such a tragedy.

If you have not donated to help this shelter, please do. Consider not
only helping the ferrets, but perhaps donations will provide enough
funds that professional counseling can be offered to shelter
members/volunteers to help them cope with this crisis. They will
grieve first. But the healing may require some help.

In Emergency Services, fire fighters, EMT's, police, medical and
military train for critical incidents. Maybe in shelter work we should
train for this as well. Little did I know that two of my life critical
incidents would occur in my day to day life, not on the ambulance or
during my husband's 34 years in law enforcement. Little did I know that
it would later come back to haunt me when taking in a single ferret
who had symptoms and conditions that would take me back to the day my
brother nearly died. It dropped me like rock. Sobbing uncontrollably
in the ferret room. Intellectually, I recognized it for what it was
because of my training, but it did not stop the sobbing until it was
out of my system. I did realize through the tears and emotion, however
that I was not crazy, my body and mind were simply reponding to the
trigger that brought it all back to me. This can be a smell, color,
phrase, a particular instance that happened during your initial
critical incident. It can be so small, but so damaging for those not
aware.

I hope that this post will help make folks aware of critical incidents
and the damage they might create and how helpful some kind of
itnervention can be. I also hope more folks will open their hearts
and wallets to help Kevin, his crew and their babies.

Blessing to all; here on Earth and as Stars in the Sky,
Cathy

Feed rescued animals in two clicks
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3