From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 1995 21:00:24 -0500
to:    Edward Bruce Swartz, Amy & Dave, Linda Doran <>

The following is MY OPINION and NOT fact, though after handling over 1000
ferrets through the shelter, experience can be next to a scholarship...

Brewer's yeast is (more or less) Vitamin B (and the leftover dregs of beer
making!), which is water soluable and does not become toxic in the body.  I
sprinkle it on the cat's and ferret's dry food, they like the taste and it is
good for them.  I have seen/heard about spleens going down in size and coats
improving in ferrets, and feel that the addition can't hurt.  In the Summer,
I add brewer's yeast with garlic - though there is no "scientific" research,
and the vet community often scoffs this approach, I find that the added
garlic in the powder does help keep the flea problem at bay.  It WILL NOT get
rid of fleas, but makes their presence more tollearable.

Brewer's yeast can be bought at pet shops and animal supply stores (I once
bought a "bucket" which was labeled for horses - but the stuff with garlic
added is labled only for dogs and cats).  Health food stores might carry it
as well, but probably only in pill form.  Get the powder, just sprinkle a
scoop full onto the ferret's bowl and shake it a little to disperse it on all
the food.  Add to Duck Soup - yummy!  :)

Pam/STAR*