From:
Jaden McCarty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 22:39:00 -0500
I sit here tonight at this keyboard with a heavy heart.   I am going through
several emotions.  I feel like I hear the warnings all to clear now.  I feel
guilty for not heading them and for being selfish is my desperate desire to
replace a lost pet.

You may remember me from my excited portail of the two baby ferrets flying
in from a breeder in PA.  Jack and Sugar.

I have two small children (2 and 4 yrs) when my ferret died last July.  I
wanted desparetly to get two new ferrets despite the warnigs the FMLrs gave
me about the age of my kids.  I see now that I just didn't want to listen.
I am having horrible problem with Sugar BITING the kids, particularly my
older child.  I know you all defend ferrets when they bite,attributing it to
being scared or not taken care of or not having enough exposure to the
family etc...

I assure you this has not been the case in both of the BITING incidents.
The first time happend a month ago when the two of us were sitting on the
couch and Sugar jumped on the coach and started to lick me and sniff at my
daughter.  Without warning she lunged at her FACE and repeatedly chomped at
her cheeks with me having to open her jaw to get her to release her skin.
My daughter did nothing to deserve this and I told her as much.  I scruffed
the ferret and returned her to her cage and attended my frightened child.  I
tryed to blame it on the face the we had had fish for lunch and Sugar must
have just smelled it and wanted some.  I have to admit this excuse allowed
me to sleep easier.

A few hours ago my daughter was asleep in her bed when Sugar squeezed under
her door and attacked her in her sleep biting her nose in two different
places.  The ferrets where out in the living room with US and the kids
bedroom is connected to the living room, so she was not unattended.  I just
couldnt jump off the coach and into her room fasted than Sugar.  Why did she
do this?  What am I supposed to tell her grandparents when they see yet
another bit on her face.  My husband is furious and wants them gone right
away.  My daughter is very protective of her ferret (which she is deathly
afraid of) oddly enough and calmly tells her daddy that they will grow up
and be just like Jazzy (our last non biting ferret).  She has heard me say
this everytime the ferrets nip at our heals or toes.  Now we all wear
slippers when the ferrets are out of thier 6 foot cage which is at least two
hours everyday.

My husband see our options as follows.
1. Sell them immediately (or at least Sugar who is my FAVORITE despite her
   biting)
2. Keep them in thier cage all but one hour a day.
3. Keep them totally away from the kids (all most impossible)

All of those options would be hurtful to the ferrets quality of life, right?
I can just hear him now saying to himself, "What kind of a Mother would let
thier kids be exposed to an amimal that terrifies them and is harming them!"
I ask myself this question, after the fact.

Please dont bother to E-mail me with accusing remarks of I told you so.  I'm
aware of that.  Now the important thing here is to offer me sound advice in
dealing with the matters at hand.  I love my ferrets and want desparely to
have them and my family live in peace and harmony.  (anyone hear a violin?)
If any of you have some HELPFUL ADVICE I urge you to e-mail my family @

Thanks for listening

I apologize to the ferret community for making such a stupid mistake (not
waiting until my kids were much older) and for any bad pubilicy such an
irresponsible move may make if any undecided to be ferret owners may read my
posting and get scared.

Please, I urge you, If any parents are considering a Ferret as a pet, please
wait until your children are 8 years or older before bringing this
misunderstood pet in your home.  They are great pets and i love mine with
all my heart