From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 12:30:43 -0500
I've been trying to get a copy of the new edition of James Fox's Biology
and Diseases of the Ferret.  Not having a lot of success.

I place an order with Amazon.com in early November.  At that time, they
said it would ship in 3-5 weeks.  After 6 weeks, I decided to check up on
it.  My online order said it was still in process, but when I checked
Amazon's listing, I was amazed to see the book was "out of stock" at the
publisher!

So I called Amazon's 800 number to find out just what was going on.  I must
say they were very helpful.  The woman I spoke to said she would call the
publisher and find out what was going on.  She would email me to let me
know.  Within an hour I had an email from her confirming the publisher was
out, and did not know when they would have more.

So I checked with some of the other internet book stores: books.com,
barnesandnoble.com and a couple others.  Most said the book was available
by special order only, but Barnes and Noble claimed to have it in stock.
I called their 800 number to confirm, and was told yes they had it.  So I
placed an order.

Working with Barnes and Noble's online system was a major pain.  After
going around in circles for a while and getting occasional error messages,
I finally thought I completed the order.  I didn't get a confirmation email
until about 9 hours later, and then discovered my order was duplicated!
Five hours after that I got an email that they DIDN'T have it in stock and
would have to order from the publisher, whom we all now know DOESN'T HAVE
IT EITHER!!  So I cancelled both orders, for which I have not received a
confirmation 2 days later.  Sigh...

Anyway, does anyone know where I can find the second edition of James Fox's
Biology and Diseases of the Ferret ?

Linda Iroff
Raisin Retreat Ferret Shelter
Oberlin, OH
http://www.oberlin.edu/~liroff/ncfs.html

To help in raisin' funds for the Raisin Retreat, go here