From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 01:19:39 -0400
Dear Lisa:

>Have you ever had a ferret whose bacula was constantly protruding?  Leo is
>a stray, about 3 years old and you can always see at least the hook on the
>end, and sometimes as much as 1" of his penis!  A thorough exam by our vet
>(Dr. Hulls asked to pass along his greetings!) showed no abnormality or
>possible reason.  Its not broken or swollen - its just out!
>
>He is currently on Septra but that is ending today (14 day course).  He
>isn't in any pain, doesn't lick excessively and other than this, a normal
>happy ferret.  Ideas are welcomed - Thanks!

Phimosis - constant extrusion of the penis - is uncommon in ferrets.  As in
other species - it is usually an anatomic defect - either by an adhesion (a
permanent abnormal tissue band) within the sheath which prevents the total
retraction of the penis, or a shortened prepuce.  It generally is not a
painful condition, but the penis may dry out or become traumatized.

Close examination under anesthesia would be the best option here to
establish if there is a surgically correctable defect.  Daily application
of emollient cream is probably indicated in such cases, and close daily
examination for injury or a superficial bacterial infection - usually
indicated by a greenish discharge.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, dVM