From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:09:47 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922
&messageid=5436&startid=5437

Sorry I was not able to answer these 3 questions earlier.  The reason
Lupron is kept frozen is because the product does not contain any
preservatives.  In humans they mix it up and inject it right away;
however, it is not possible to do that with ferrets.  Thus it is
stored in the freezer and taking out as needed.

The another question was about Lupron actually shrinking the adrenal
glands.  I agree with Dr Williams' surgery is the best option if the
ferrets is healthy enough for surgery, and the owner can afford it, etc.
However I do think in SOME cases Lupron can indeed cause the adrenal
gland to become smaller.  I think these are hyperplasia and adenomas
that become smaller after using Lupron.  Again the key word is some.
This does not happen all of the time.

Lupron once a month vs.  Lupron every 4 months.  These are the same
drug.  Just in different slow release version.  The 4 month version is
typically sold in 1mg and 2 mg sizes for ferret use.  That would be
equal to 0.250mg monthly and 0.5mg monthly (1/4=0.250 and 2/4=0.500).
The 0.250mg =250mcg and 0.500mg=500mcg.  Thus you have to compare that
actual amount of Lupron being used on a monthly basis to compare the two.
I personally use and like the once a month version.  That way the ferret
is rechecked each month, and any changes can be made if needed.  Changes
such as increasing the amount of Lupron if needed, adding other medicines
such as melatonin, Propecia for prostate problems, and Arimidex + Epogen
for anemia problems.  Plus if any new problems (insulinoma, etc) develop
they can be treated quickly.

Hope that helps,
Jerry Murray, DVM