From:
Julie Dowdy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:27:44 -0700
Well, the little spoiled brats have ruined our couches!  Actually, a more
accurate description would be that we let them.  They ignored them for the
first three months and then just moved in one day.  We didn't care much
until they started using a corner under it for a litter box!

We have solved the problem of keeping them out - sheets of bendable
plexiglass/acrylic from Home Depot, cutting off their access from the
kitchen and my computer/sewing space.  We fixed the problem of the smelly
carpet by buying a steam vac.  (That was so unbelievably disgusting, how
many buckets after buckets we had to use to get it clean!).  Now my
remaining problem is a REALLY bad one.  Somewhere, the odor has gotten
into the couch.

We tried washing the wooden frame from underneath.  That worked and it
doesn't smell.  We sprayed the underside with an odor remover, and it
worked well.  The smell is not coming from the carpet or the under side of
the couch.  We had to wash the corners of the cushions where they rubbed
themselves getting into the couch.  THAT was stinky, but now it's not.  But
still, from *somewhere* in the friggin couch wafts up this god awful smell.
The couch is only a year old!!!  I'm going to have to replace the cushion
covers, since they've decided digging the backs of them apart was great
sport, so I am thinking maybe it's in the foam.

Anyhow, Febreeze does not work.  Doesn't.  Just makes it worse.  Bounce
brand doesn't work either.  I need something that I am able to spray on a
Scotch guarded couch,.  head to toe, in and out, that will work.  It's
really annoying, because I can stick my nose in the couch and sniff, and
not find it!!  I have a theory of where it is, but I'll have to do some
in depth checking.  I've heard of some good sprays with enzymes that just
munch on anything odorous.  Can anyone with this problem recommend
ANYTHING?  I can't very well have people come over and sit on smelly
couches.  Ick.

Thanks a lot,
Julie