Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 11:17:24 -0800
I have not posted in awhile and will still remain very "conservative" on
posting.  I could not resist after reading some very excellent articles
in the special 5th Anniversary Edition of Ferrets Magazine.

I found the article on nutrition written by Mary Van Dahm VERY well written
and right on the money.  I have been looking for her email addy ever since
so that I can thank her and ask her more questions.  Does anyone have her
addy?  If she is reading this, I would love to chat with you.  Troy Lynn
also wrote an article called "Home is Where You Hang Your Hammock" which I
thoroughly enjoyed and found to be a great resource to new/potential
adopters.  Although I do not follow all the hoopla over ferret coloration
(and laugh over some of the breeder's made up names for them), there is an
interesting article written by Fara Shimbo on color, plus some great ferret
photos from their contest.  I will definitely be entering some photos for
2001!  If you want an excellent source of info., this is the one magazine
issue you should buy.  I do not subscribe to these magazines but saw this
one and had to buy it.  My hubby saw it sitting on the table and asked "you
went from Glamour and the other many fashion mags to a Ferret Magazine?" He
just about fell over on the price, but this magazine is not overflowing
with ads - it has tons of articles.

Enough of my plugs, you all probably know about this and it is probably old
news already, but I am behind in my reading.

Has anyone tried or heard of a new food called Pinnacle Superior Feline
Nutrition?  I ordered a sample of it because the ingredients sound great,
but I want to know any opinions on the breakdown/ingredients.  It has 32%
minimum crude protein, 18% fat, 2.5% fiber, 10% moisture, .16% taurine,
.095% magnesium and 6.5% ash.  There are hardly any preservatives and it
must be consumed within 90 days.  Here are the ingredients: Chicken Meal
(oats, chicken, ocean fish, oat bran, chicken fat preserved with
tocopherols, quinoa, grapeseed oil, phosphoric acid, whole dried egg,
cottage cheese, cranberries, oyster shell, lecithin, brewers dried yeast,
monosodium phosphate, taurine, choline chloride, yucca schidigera extract,
ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, vitamin B12, dried whey, dried
lacto bacillus acidophilus fermentation product.

I left off some of the last ingredients, but this is the majority.  My
concern is the minerals and any chance of them blocking absorption of other
essential needs.  I would only use this food as a 25% mix in to the ferret
foods I use.

The number for the above company is 800-255-4286 and
www.breeders-choice.com is their site addy.

Thanks for any and all opinions and info.

~Danielle