From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2010 04:11:27 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:
>I am asking the interwebs for suggestions. We currently have 1 dooker
>and need to upgrade her cage. Right now, she is living in a secondhand
>SuperPet cage (about 36" x 20" floor).

Ihave always found that Martin's cages are the best cages for the money.
However, I live within a reasonable distance from him, and often see
him at shows, so I can either get the cages at a show and don't have to
pay for shipping, or can get them shipped at a reasonable cost. If you
live on the west coast, or in the far south or southwest, getting a
Martin's cage may not be as easy.

One of the reason's I like the Martin's cages are they are really well
built. I have some that are close to 15 years old, and have been
continuously used during that time, and they are still in great shape.

Another reason I like his cages is he will custom build something for
you if you do not like any of the designs he offers on his website. My
cages are,for the most part, custom designed. My kids do not use the
half levels, and so I have a cage made with only full shelves. The
price increase for having this done in minimal - basically enough to
cover the cost of the additional wire mesh.

When he ships big cages, they are shipped not fully assembled. However,
he send all the needed instructions and supplies so you can complete
the assembly. They are not hard to assemble, either. I am not great at
that sort of thing, but I have always had no trouble putting my cages
together.

Martin's also offers a wide variety of stock cages - both 1 level and
multi-level.

Here is a link to the page on his website that pictures the ferret
cages:

Martin's Cages Inc. -
<http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/ferret/>

I personally prefer the PVC coated wire cages over the galvanized wire
cages, because they are easier to clean and do not rust. I also prefer
the plastic pans over metal pans for the same reason. They are slightly
more expensive, but for me, are worth the extra cost.

Skip Martin has owned ferrets (and may still own ferrets) so he is well
aware of what makes a good cage. He tries to set the angle of the ramps
so the ferrets get maximum exercise of their leg and shoulder muscles
when climbing up and down them. He also makes sure the edges where the
wire has been cut are smoothed, so there is no danger of getting a cut
or abrasion from them.

And, this is a small mom and pop business that continually gives back
to the ferret community. Skip is always donating cages to raffles that
make money for shelters, clubs, and organizations like AFA.

Now, if I lived in the northern central part of the country, I would
probably get my cages from Kritter Koncepts. They are also a small mom
and pop business that makes quality cages and they are involved in the
ferret community. I do not have any of their cages, but I have seen
them, and they appear to be every bit as well made as a Martin's cage.
Here is a link to their website:

Kritter
<http://kritterkoncepts.net/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_12>
Kages : Kritter Koncepts!, for all your pet pleasures

I believe they will also make custom designs.
Anyway, I hope this information is helpful.

Danee DeVore
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!
For more information visit:
<http://www.ferretadv.com>
ADV - Find out how you can help:
http://help4adv.terrabox.com/