From:
Heather Wojtowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 10:07:19 -0400
Hi folks-

I wonder, can Rocky's Ferret Shelter take Bachman to court to recoup the
costs of the rescue?  Maybe getting slapped with a stiff judgement to
repay the shelter would take the wind out of this woman's sails.  When I
first received the pictures of the rescue I thought I was as horrified as
I could possibly get, but I was proven wrong when I realized that this
woman has done this before - has become almost notorioos for it - and
will most certainly do it again.  How many more times will shelter(s) and
by extension the ferret community have to foot the bill for Di Bachman
"cleaning out" her ferret business?  I am truly floored by the account in
yesterday's FML that gives details of how many times this has happened as
well as the shenanigans this woman has been up to.  My sincere thanks to
the AFA for banning this woman.  Shame on the club(s) that have allowed
her access and entry, putting financial gain before ferret welfare!

I was looking at the website for Rocky's Ferret Rescue and it lists the
laws pertaining to animal cruelty in Maryland.  Reading through the law
point by point, I must say that quite a lot of the criteria for animal
abuse fits what I saw in those photographs and read in the accounts of
the rescuers.  Will the photographs and rescuer written accounts be
submitted to the authorities?  I realize that the rescuers must be
inordinately busy with the ferrets; maybe there's someone who could help
with this?  Time is probably of the essence.  especially to save the
ferrets that are surely still in this woman's clutches.

I would also like to know what the rest of us concerned folks can do,
besides donations.  Is there somewhere letters can be written or emails
sent urging prosecution?  Was this a real raid or just a cleanout?  Even
if it only inititaed as a zoming violation, didn't the Humane Society
want to bring criminal charges after seeing the horror inside that
dilapidated building?

I'd like to know what, if anything, can be done or is being done to make
sure this is the last rescue that has to be made from this woman.  I hope
there's something I can do personally, but it seems like it's up to the
actual rescuers and shelter to ensure that charges are brought.  Does
anyone know what the story is on that?

Thanks,
Heather W.

[Moderator's note: I understand the some action may occur, but it's
probably best to not get into the details on the FML right now.  BIG]