From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 23:11:09 -0500
Hi!

Am copying in the originator of the inquiry.

The Ferret Assn of CT has published a leaflet - available without charge
throgh the generosity of our donors and supporters- about biting ferrets;
possible causes, and corrective options.  PLEASE email our shelter
director, Vanessa, at [log in to unmask] or to [log in to unmask]
with your snail mail address and we will send out a copy.

It is part of FACT's charter to supply ferret care and handling
information free of charge to anyone needing it.  We do not charge for
ferret related material we've produced and only ask that anyone who
chooses to re-use our information not change anything and give FACT
and the author credit for it. :)

We have published information on our website re: nipping under behavior.
Please visit http://www.ferret-fact.org - though this inquiry reminds
me that we need to place the biting behavior (the escalated form of
nipping!) information online as well. :)  Now have it added to my "to do"
list!

Severe biters most often can be rehabbed.  There are exceptions, however.
Every once in awhile we have run across ferrets - most recently a pair
that we took in from FARI (the RI ferret assn).  While their behavior
improved, they NEVER became trustworthy.  Fortunately, we have a
long-term member and volunteer with the patience of Job and the
understanding of a saint!  who has taken these two into her home
permanently.  And bless her, when she's bit she blames herself for not
being sensitive to THEIR issues.

Whatever caused their behavior eludes us.  But they both are in a loving,
caring and safe home, which, of course, EVERY ferret needs and deserves!
 :)

Ann Gruden
President, FACT