From:
"Emily E. Classon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 09:21:12 -0400
I don't know.  I just checked out that website (thanks for the url), and I
didn't find it that offensive.  I can see not leaving a baby or young child
with ANY animal.  I know our ferret could bite.  I personally don't believe
in leaving ferrets alone unsupervised because there are always things that
we forget to ferret-proof or can't believe they got into.  Also, it's much
more fun to be with them, right?

I think this person was saying....animals CAN be dangerous of they bite, but
if people watch them with the kids, it should be ok.  Also, this person
encouraged getting all shots.  There may be some ignorance (like all that
many people except those of us know anything about ferrets?), but I think
this person was trying to help.  Also, many, I repeat...many people have
this face-biting-ferret idea.  I'm also wondering if there are real cases of
this to give everyone the idea that all ferrets will suck the face off of
babies.  Note: I do know of one ferret that latched onto a person's nose and
couldn't let go.  They had to be surgically removed.  Oh...also, when he
said that he recommends supervision especially for the ferret, I think he
makes sense.  It's true...a ferret is more likely to sniff and to be curious
about the baby than a cat or dog.  I know my ferret goes nuts for new people
and has to be watched to make sure she doesn't bite (we've only had her a
month, and her habits have had close to 3 years to develop).  It's just a
precaution.

I suppose that I'll get yelled at for this.  However, I think that most of
this message made some sense.  Just because people say something that could
be bad about ferrets doesn't mean we should take offense.  His comments
mostly make sense.  The rabies and biting parts are a bit off, but
otherwise, I agree with supervising ANYTHING and a child....ferrets, cats,
dogs, other children, and the child him/herself.  I don't believe that young
children should be left alone either.  Safety!

Just my $.02

--Emily