From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 09:14:00 -0500
This is a recurring thread but I had to support the shelters here.  If
you've ever done any rescue you realize how many total liars there are
out there and people who seem what they aren't.  Shelter people don't know
potential adopters from adam.  There first concern is the ferret.  If your
boring little personal details are more important that rescuing a ferret -
so be it.  Being burned a couple times by people and having the ferrets be
the one that suffer - makes you careful.  I support complete reference
checks as well as home checks if at all possible (and by the way most cat
and dog rescues learned the same lessons years ago and have had the same
policies for quite some time - so people who seem surprised by these
policies have never gone to breed rescue).

Mary